Sunday, January 18, 2009

We've Found Facebook and it's Moved In

I remember hearing about Facebook when Elizabeth was working for OBU. It was social networking site for students. She was all about it…telling us how she used it to communicate and keep up with her students. Sounded dorky to me. What was wrong with email ? Whatever I thought, it didn’t apply to me or fit into my idea of keeping up with people. After all there was MySpace…and that was proving very useful for stalking people.

We tried MySpace for a while, using it mainly to post pics for family and friends to see. Of course something always bothered me about the fact that if my MeMa logged in to see pics of her precious great-grandbabies there would most likely be a scantily clad female on the right side, in a banner ad. Plus all these annoying friend requests from randoms that I had no interest in knowing. I found Google’s Picasa, cancelled our MySpace account and started posting there.

The only drawback to not being involved on a networking site is you can’t stalk people. There’s nothing Rachel and I enjoyed more at night, after the kids were in bed, than logging into MySpace or Xanga and seeing what the crazies were doing. Now we were cut-off from the world. I had a LinkedIn account, but that’s like trying to find out what’s going on in the word by reading the Opportunity Valley News (Orange joke). I got better scoop at kogt.com.

Chaise brought up facebook one day and mentioned that anyone could join now, not just students. Well that was it, I made an account and began the stalking process. I found out we were pretty late the party. Lots of our friends had already found it. Good, that would give us at least a month or so of good stalking before we had to maintain our own site.

It was refreshing that the site wasn’t wrought with skanky-ness and unsolicited friendship. Instead, Rachel…once she found out it was easy to navigate and you could log in through emails; that was it. She spends as much time as I do on it. Posting to walls, instant messaging (gasp), and making comments on people’s pictures or status. She even half-way arranged a social event using the site. This from someone who couldn’t attach a document to an email a year ago. We’re so pround of our Luddite. She’s growing up so fast. Now if we could only get her to use the GPS on the first try we’ll be good.

4greens

No comments: